• Jayjiva Holistic Therapies • Worthing • West Sussex •
The importance of water
It’s surprising how many clients I see that have hydration issues. Drinking plain water is such an important aspect to keeping healthy. It is not simply H2O but contains significant minerals, a typical spring water can provide 100mg of Calcium per litre, thats a sixth of your calcium requirements!
Water is important for:
- Brain function – Dehydration will affect cognitive ability drastically and through histamine’s action can create depressive states (many anti-depressant medications are anti-histamines).
- Nerve function – Dehydration disrupts proper nerve function, resulting in pain.
- Bone function – 75% of the weight of the upper body is supported by the water core contained within the fifth lumbar disc, the remaing 25% by muscle fibres around the spine.
- Digestion – The stomach relies on mucus lining to safe guard effects of the stomach’s hydrochloric acid. Water maintains this defence. Too little water and acid will penetrate and lead to pain.
- Detoxifying cells, Lubricating joints, Keeping the body alkalised, ridding the body of acid and peptic pain – a common complaint from many of my customers, and the list goes on…
“I drink coffee, tea, diet coke, beer and a host of other liquids. They contain water, don’t they?”
Many of today’s drinks such as tea, coffee and sodas because of their acidic compositions require the body to give up water in order to eliminate their harmful residues. Diet sodas are especially harmful in that they require large amounts of body-water to neutralise the phosphoric acid component.
It’s simple, introduce more water, hydrate your body and you’ll soon notice the difference…